Are you shopping around for flats in Pune? You might come across thousands of real estate projects in Pune, making your decision a challenging one. While some builders might offer a flat of 1000 sq. ft. for 25 lakhs, the other might offer a property for the same amount but with a claim of a bigger area of 1200 sq. ft. As a buyer, you might think the larger area is the better deal, right? Don’t make your decision so fast. Area of a property might be one of the vaguest terms used by builders in Pune and many realtors are known to exploit this ambiguity to a high extent. While buying a house, you might hear the terms carpet area, built-up area and super built-up area and these terms might cause a lot of confusion.

properties in pune

Not knowing the right meaning of these terms will give developers a chance to take you for a ride and rip you off extra lakhs. Understanding these aspects of property calculations is not rocket science. Read on to know how areas are calculated in a home and how you can save your hard-earned money.

Carpet Area

Like the name suggests, carpet area that can be actually covered by a carpet in your home or the area without the thickness of inner walls. This is the real space you will have at your disposal in the home and focusing on the carpet area while buying will help you understand the usable area in different parts like bedroom, kitchen and living room. Many builders in Pune don’t even mention the carpet area at first. They might just talk about the built-up or the super built-up area. It’s important to clearly ask about the carpet area in order to understand the amount of space you will have inside your dream home.

properties in pune

Built-up Area

The built-up area is derived after adding the carpet and wall areas. This includes the area that is being occupied by the walls in your home, including the thickness of the inner wall units. This area is usually 20% of the built-up area and it changes the perspective of the home completely. Other areas like the dry balcony, flower beds, etc. constitute about 10% built-up, making the total of 30% and above. In most cases, builders offer a built-up area of 35-40%. So usually, the usable area in a home is just 60-65% of the area mentioned. So if a builder is offering 1200 sq. ft. built-up, remember that 40% of it might be unusable, so you will only get around 720 sq. ft. for usage.

Super Built-up Area

Also known as the saleable area, this is a favourite term of builders. This is calculated by adding the built-up area and the common areas like lifts, corridors, lobby and even amenities in some cases. This can be almost 25% more than the built-up area.

properties in pune

While selling real estate projects in Pune, many builders add 35-40% loading in the carpet area to derive the built-up area. So, if the carpet is 1000 sq. ft., the built-up can go up to 1400 sq. ft., causing you to spend an additional amount for the space that you won’t get to use. On the contrary, Mittal Builders charges only 30% loading in the carpet area for the built-up area. So in a 1000 sq. ft. carpet, the built-up goes to just 1300 sq. ft., saving you money for 100 sq. ft. As the company works with CREDAI association standards, customers can be assured of a transparent and honest deal.
Remember to always ask the builder for the exact calculations of the carpet, built-up and super built-up area before you book flats in Pune.

Leave a Response